Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Rose's Hobbit Pinafore

One of the great things about fantasy costuming is that you can utilize historic techniques to get the look you are going for but you aren't bound by adherence to historical accuracy. This is what I love about hobbit clothing. It's been many years now since I have fallen in love with the whimsical, rustic styles worn in Lord of the Rings but its a style I never get burnt out on, like I do sometimes with clothing from actual historical eras. It's fun to add quirky accents and to try to think like a hobbit would have: something fun, pretty, practical and simple is the only goal.

For Rose's pinafore I ended up with a quasi-victorian style that is not far removed from the mid 19th century. It's inspired by the high waisted sleeveless dresses worn by the young hobbit girls in the film but the fullness starts at the chest instead of the waist. To me, at least, it seems to be a style more suited to young babies and toddlers and, most important, it is extremely practical!

The boys had similar styled pinafores for Civil War reenacting and they fit them for a very long time. Since the pinafore is unfitted except for the neckline the shape accommodates a range of sizes. And since Rose's chemise is unfitted, too, this whole outfit is absolutely perfect for a kid who tends to grow at completely unpredictable times.

I love using up small pieces from the stash for these outfits. I used the last of a semi sheer blue cotton this time. For the yoke lining and the hem facing I used part of a green and white woven gingham curtain I got at a second hand store last year. I wasn't going to trim it at all since Rose is a drooly baby and her garments need to be frequently washed. I found some pretty, rather roughly embroidered trim at a local antique mall, though that had a design of tulips. Rustically floral! Perfect for a hobbit!

I put a little flounce at each shoulder and that seemed to be just enough. The center front got a tiny length of braided trim that I salvaged from the edge of an old broken lamp shade.



And here are the two finished hobbit dresses!

I was seized with a desire to make Benjamin a hobbit outfit, too. I've never made boy hobbit clothing. So far I have made his shirt and he will get some short trousers and suspenders to go with it. Hopefully I'll have a post about that within the next week or so.

Love,
Sarah





1 comment:

  1. Oh, how pretty! I love the use of several different fabrics, so hobbit-y.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely thoughts!