Thursday, September 8, 2016

A Blue Hobbit Chemise

I finished up Anne's hobbit outfit earlier this week. Over the weekend we went out and bought lots of fake flowers, wire, floral tape and ribbon to make some new flower crowns, since, of course, a girl can never have too many of those. They are useful little accessories. I picked out some pretty daisies as a good match for her dress but she likes the pink hydrangeas. So we got both, as well as a few others.

Rose's outfit is now underway and today I sat down to sew a little on her chemise and to my surprise I got it all done. It only took about two hours, start to finish. So yes, raglan sleeved chemises sew up a lot more quickly than square cut ones. Less seams to finish. Less pieces.

This chemise isn't made from any particular pattern but there are many tutorials and free patterns online for very similar little dresses. This one at The Stitching Scientist is a great one.

I used up the very last of many yards of a sheer floral fabric I bought many years ago. Probably almost ten years ago, now that I think about it! It's lightness was perfectly suited to a chemise and blue is one of those colors that really suits Rose.

I used 1/4" elastic in the neck and sleeves. It is a little roomy now but will fit her for a while, even for modern wear. It will look cute with a pair of leggings when she is taller.

Here she posed outside with a stick she found. This kid adores sticks and one of her first words was "stick", pronounced rather ungenteely as "shit" with a hard "k" sound at the end. "Mum mum! Shit-k!"

It was certainly a beautiful stick. She brought it in to show her brother Malachi, who applauded her stick finding skills.

Next up is the overdress, which I think I'm going to make more like a pinafore. Then mine. I WILL get it done before the end of the month. I will.

Love,
Sarah

1 comment:

Thank you for your lovely thoughts!