Thursday, April 26, 2012

An Antique for the Anne-Girl

Thank you all for your overwhelmingly positive comments about the sacque outfit. I am glad you all like it, and although I cannot truly say I *love* this ensemble, your words have helped reconcile me to it and I think I will be able to wear it with a bit more than simply tolerance. I think we have three events to attend before the baby gets here and as it is certain I shall only get bigger between now and then a sacque WILL be a comfortable and roomy thing to wear!

Thank you also for your prayers about the sonogram we had on Tuesday. Our little girl is measuring (according to their best estimations, which may be, and probably are, somewhat off) a bit smaller than average for her age but she is still well within the range of normal and her physical development is right where it should be. The 2D ultrasounds are never very clear but we to see her tiny face and she quite resembles her brothers, I must say. I think she looks quite a bit like her brother David; small and finely shaped with tiny features.

Anyway, at the candle lighting ball we attended last weekend, the dance mistress, the lovely Mrs. M, surprised and delighted me with this small pink gown. Since that time I have had more opportunities to sit and marvel over the fine workmanship on this whispery pink organdy dress.

The dainty handstitches (the dress appears to have been entirely stitched by hand),




The minute slips of buttonholes and teeny-weeny buttons:

The wide hem cut and stitched in scallops:

The still like-new tag attached to the inside of the neckline:

Some quick google searches of "Alfred Leon baby dress" turned up similarly designed gowns dated from the 30's, 40's and 50's. My personal thought? The 1940's, just based on the cut compared to other 1940's baby dresses and the relative slimness of the skirt compared to other Alfred Leon dresses from the 50's that have very gathered skirts, indeed.

I will feel quite special putting my little darling in an approximately seventy year old dress. Imagine! I wonder if any other babies ever wore this dress, and who they were, and what became of them. Now to construct a properly vintage-looking baby bonnet to go with the gown, and finding little ruffly ankle socks and strappy shoes to complete the look. That is work I do not mind one bit. ;)

The only disappointment with the dress comes from Mr. Malachi, who demanded tearfully to know why the dress is not for *him*. I suppose that is an effect of reenacting the 1860 period with a certain young man who wore dresses at events until last fall. He likes them. And he likes the color pink. He did at least admit at last that even though he cannot wear the dress he will like to see his little sister in it. I think she will not want for gentleman admirers. :) David's old red plaid tunic, which has faded pink, Malachi now accepts as tolerable substitution.

Love,
Sarah

2 comments:

  1. So glad to hear that everything is fine with little Anne! The pink dress is so lovely, and it's precious that Malachi is so fond of it. He's a trooper! The other boys are now likely accustomed to 'baby displacement' but this is new for him, and he seems to be taking it well. He'll be a great big brother as will the older boys. Anne's a lucky girl and was placed in the perfect family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely little dress! I'm glad your little one is doing well. You have such a beautiful family! Malachi is so precious, I wish I had a brother to take my pink dresses when I was his age. I used to hate dresses, especially pink ones! Haha

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely thoughts!