Friday, November 4, 2011

Pink 1920's Dress ~ Finished

I finally finished the renovated linen dress. It ended up taking me a lot longer to finish than if I had just started from scratch and used new material, but, hey, it was kind of fun figuring out how to transform the linen dress and some pink fabric into a 20's style.

Last time I posted, my dress had the side panels attached for a fuller skirt:

However, the bodice hung rather loosely and unattractively so I took in the bodice. First I removed the sleeves, then raise the whole dress at the shoulders. Then I took in the side seams of the bodice so it fit me better.Then I added a band of the pink gauze to the original cap sleeves on the dress, and a slightly flared band below that, of scraps left from the pink linen when I cut the sides off the skirt.

After that, my dilemma was deciding how to finish off the dress. Originally I was going to go with a scarf-type trim, like this: (which I must mention I still really like. . .I really liked the drapiness of it)

But my children kept thinking that the scarf-type trim was a kind of tail they could yank and pull on. Plus it gave a very unflattering silhouette from the side.

Next I tried a V-shaped piece of the gauze. I kind of liked how that looked, so I decided to go with that.

Since pink does not go very well with my hennaed hair color, I thought a contrasting color would help soften the transition from the pink dress to my reddish hair. This cream colored antique lace from Natalie was just right, and I had just exactly enough to sew a few rows across the V shaped area on the front bodice.

The belt tabs were. . .boring. From any distance at all, they melted into the skirt and you could not even tell they were there. I was very sick yesterday so spent the afternoon curled up in David's bathrobe, in bed and chain stitched in cream colored thread all around the belt tabs to help them stand out more. I also made covered buttons by covering metal washers with the pink gauze, and sewed them to the belt tabs to make them look more belt-like. :)

I am really pleased with how the dress finished up. It's definitely *pink* but sometimes a pink dress is the perfect dress to wear!

I am loving this style for everyday use since it is *so* comfortable. No zippers. No buttons. No hooks. No fitted bands. Nothing. It just slips on over the head and hangs there. The skirt is a perfect, practical everyday length and the fullness is just right for comfortably moving.

I tried to put my hair up in a different way by simulating a short cut look. I think I like a tightly-pulled back chignon better.

Love,
Sarah

13 comments:

  1. I really love it! All of the small details really make this dress. It does look incredibly comfortable too. Lovely!! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am inspired! I really need a 20's day dress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It turned out very well, I really like it when you worked the belt tabs a bit more. I really must try a 20's style sometime...

    I personally hate remaking clothing, it does always seem to take longer than making them from scratch. And yet I have a remake-project waiting for me... urgh...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Sarah, what a super-duper turnout that dress is. I hope you get a lot of use out of it, because it's so neat and looks so well on you. So glad the lace worked well.

    Hugs,
    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I love how every little detail is just period-perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, it looks amazing!! You did a really great job at transforming that dress :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That dress turned out really pretty. V jelous. Hope mine turns out as nice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The dress is beautiful! I love all the little finishing details. And I actually think you look beautiful with your hair styled like that :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This turned out lovely! I just love the way you made this work out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. perfect, as usual! It looks lovely on you, shape, style and color. I really like how you accentuated the belt tabs. Really makes them pop! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I noticed this picture in TV guide
    http://prideandprejudice05.blogspot.com/2011/12/downtown-abbey-christmas-special-airs.html
    Lady edith (4th on left from centre) her dress (pink) reminded me of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Did you know the lace is tatted? I got really excited because I am a tatter and I don't see tatting very often. It is an antique style which is rarely done anymore-- first, a length was tatted, then the top was crocheted onto the tatted base. It was popular from the 1850's to the turn of the century because it was a technique spread by the publications of Mlle. Riego de la Branchardiere.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely thoughts!