Monday, June 20, 2011

The Olde English Faire

Well, this must just be a lucky month for me - if there is such a thing as luck! Perhaps I ought to say fulfilling or blessed instead. Whatever you happen to uphold as your word of choice in regard to Good Things Happening, I have been having good things happen.

This past weekend saw us going from a flood-washed Civil War reenactment to a gloriously warm, slightly humid medieval faire. The change of 500 years, give or take a few, was a good one.

I first attended the Olde English Faire as an impressionable young girl of twelve or so - in fact, I think it was the same year I went to my first Civil War reenactment. Or maybe the year before? I can't quite remember. Back then, the Faire was held on the grounds of the beautiful Jubilee State Historic site, which, sadly, is now closed so the Faire no longer can take place there.


I remember my mom and I paying one vendor to be dressed up in "medieval" clothing and we had our picture taken in gaudy costume satins, velvets and strings of beads. . .a picture I long cherished and worshipped. I dreamt of someday being able to return in a period outfit of my own.

Yesterday we went and had a fabulous time. The weather was just about perfect, considering what it could have been, and the location very scenic and appropriate. The colors, fabrics, textures, the stimulation of every sense was just as I had remembered. It gave me great delight to see my husband and my boys enjoying the faire in their own ways and making memories that I hope will remain with them forever.

We enjoyed the various merchants, including the talented Doug Lais of Leatherhelms. The recreation of a historic camp of archers by the Order of St. Sebastian was very interesting and well done, I thought.

There were dancers, musicians, pirates and various other folk.



I met some wonderful people, enjoyed visiting with people I already knew and surprisingly, the one I had to almost physically pull away at the end of the day was David, who was settling in quite comfortably and feeling very much at home, to all appearances.

With the Faire behind us I look forward to many more, as well as to other events that are coming up and I hope to be a part of! There is so much to do, to look into, to research, to plan for. It's exciting. :)

One of the first things I need to do is to take in my kirtle, if I can. I have lost about 15 lbs since I made it, which does not seem like a lot, but it is definitely affecting the fit and thus the support I need is going away. . .of course, I could always use that as an excuse for a new dress. But I like this one and want to salvage it if possible. Let us hope.

Love,
Sarah

2 comments:

  1. Oh, how fun! We used to go to the Olde English Faire when I was little. The June I turned 19 (2002) we traveled to Illinois and my dad's entire family surprised me there with a reunion (everyone knew about it but me!). One thing we all did together was go to the Olde English Faire. I didn't have a costume but went for a sort of fairy/hippie look with a long floral skirt and a crown of flowers. Oh, good memories.

    I'm glad you had such a good time, and your costumes look wonderful. I'd love to go back sometime, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Ms. Sarah! How I wish I could have joined you! The weather was quite crude to us in Jacksonville, and as you read in my blog, the aftermath was quite icky too!
    I miss you terribly "sister"! We must get together to do something! :D

    Love,
    Christina

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely thoughts!