Saturday, November 6, 2010

David's Brown Linen Medieval Tunic


This week has been one of making David's tunic. He was sick on Monday so he stayed home from work. I draped the pattern on him that afternoon, cut the fabric on Tuesday and started sewing. I finished the garment a little while ago and he tried it on for the last time - the last time prior to his first event, that is! :)

This is technically a "Middle garment", being worn over his undershirt but underneath an outer garment. I haven't made his outer tunic yet, so for now, he has to make do with this. It has some rectangular construction (skirt gores, lower skirts) but the chest and shoulders are fitted and the sleeve is a transitional type sleeve that is curved in shape but set in with a gusset.

The fabric is a medium weight brown linen. I got the linen from Fashion Fabrics Club and wasn't happy with the rest of the order so I was reimbursed - and got to keep the fabrics. There is some controversy as to whether linen was used for main garments during this era, with it being th ough wool is generally more accurate to use, but I didn't know that before I got this fabric. David really liked it, so I used it. Most of it will be hidden beneath the outer garment anyway.

The sleeves were the thing that gave me the most trouble. The first sleeves I made had the buttonholes on the wrong side, so I made a new set of sleeves this morning. I had to sew the new ones in twice to get them to hang right but I think now they will work nicely!

Hopefully this coming week I'll get my kirtle done! I have an 1860's ballgown to make for a ball the day after Thanksgiving too. So much to sew!

Have a wonderful weekend!

Love,
Sarah

5 comments:

  1. Looking good :) When I saw the picture (before reading about it) I wondered what you had meant about the button holes on the wrong side - it's nice when you have extra fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of this Medieval clothing is such a refreshing change from the civil war and regency era clothing I've grown so accustome to seeing. I love the hand stitching, and the simplicity of how each garment is cut.

    Enjoy all of your sewing...isn't wonderful to be able to carry out your sewing plans?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks good - and he looks good in it! Great job.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely thoughts!