Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The Big Push

First, thank you all so much for your awesome support in my last post! I am really encouraged to read about how eating better has worked so well for you, and I'm so excited as I'm already starting to see positive effects on myself and my family from this new way of eating.

It is now a few days before Easter Sunday. I had thought of writing a post about my beliefs about Easter but after thinking about I decided not to. The reason? I couldn't get to the bottom of my thoughts and I was afraid of a monstrously long post and I simply lack the time to sit down and organize my thoughts into an outline so I could get the post written.

Instead, I'm focusing this week on getting some projects done. First of all is a Civil War style ball gown for a dear lady I did some sewing for late last year. I finally have the skirt finished (except for attaching it to the bodice, but the bodice isn't made yet!) and am so glad to have all those ruffles behind me! They took so long to finish. The material is gorgeous yet heavy, so it was a bit tedious putting in all those gathering stitches! The bodice should come together quickly so it should not take long to finish up this very long works-in-progress.

Secondly is a cotton canvas overcoat for a gentleman reenacting friend. I am having so much fun with this one. It is a relief to slip back into the non-ruffly world of sewing for men. Simple seams, straight forward construction. Ah. Bliss. And rather immediate gratification as I see it come together. Pics to follow when it is complete. The deadline I gave myself is Saturday, so by then it shall be finished if not before.

I will be having more than my share of sewing for men in the coming weeks. Davids broadcloth arrived from England a few weeks ago and last week the custom pattern for his frock came in the mail. We picked up the sateen and muslin for the lining and put in an order for silk buttonhole twist. I have 2 complete uniforms to make him, which he has requested be finished before the end of June. Actually, one must be finished before the middle of this month, when he plans on wearing it to the first event of the year. I am not sure if I will have it done by then, though.

He got his Hardee hat for his dress uniform (a very long coveted item) this past week. He immediately had me sew on the feathers and insignia. A half hour of work and he was very satisfied. The hat is from the wonderful Tim Bender. For our first Christmas together I got David a civilian hat from Mr. Bender and we were very pleased with his work. The Hardee hat is just as wonderful!

Then much sewing for three little men must be accomplished. David and Judah are going into trousers this season and wee Malachi (who is not so wee anymore) will be the only one in gowns. I can't wait to start their things.

First though, must finish the overcoat and set up an appointment for a bodice fitting. . .

Love,
Sarah

8 comments:

  1. Dear Sara Jane;

    I am so glad that you are seeing results already. When, I decided to eat healthier, my family took a bit of time to accept, but now they wouldn't eat any other way :)

    That is quite a bit of sewing you are doing, with little ones, I know how hard it is to sit and concentrate and do it well...but you seem to have it all under control :)

    blessings,

    Lady M

    ReplyDelete
  2. It doesn't take long to start noticing the results, does it? Even if you don't see anything right away, you can feel it pretty much right off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on you new eating habbits. You'll really start to feel better and better as you continue. I can't wait to see your creations and I absolutely love the hat. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My DH and I went to "Clean Eating" around the first of the year and it's been wonderful. I can't say we've lost weight, but I have so much more energy! And if you don't go organic crazy, it's actually cheaper, too.

    I love sewing. My sewing season's picking up, too. Do you have any pattern suggestions for 1830s? I start volunteering at New Salem this weekend. I'm borrowing a dress until I can get my own made... the sooner the better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad that your eating better is paying off for you! :) That's wonderful news!

    I always enjoy seeing your sewing projects! You make such lovely and beautiful things ~

    We are off to spend time outside in the sunshine ~ and I am taking some sewing outside to keep my hands busy while I watch the kids.
    Have a glorious day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, the difference in how I feel at least was almost immediate! I've also lost 3/4" off my waist so far! I know that is not much, but it IS a result, so I am very encouraged to keep going on. Thank you all so much for your support!!!


    Oh Jenny, how I envy you!!! I was sure that this year David and I could take the volunteer classes there since he was out of work and home all the time, but a few weeks ago he got a job again and now his only day off is Sunday, so, :(

    For 1830's gowns have you looked at vintage textile and antique dress? They have some lovely extant examples. If you can, get Janet Arnolds POF1 through inter library loan and there are some great diagrams in there for 1830s pattern shapes. The gowns in there are more upper class but you can use the basic shapes to make a more sensible type dress out of cotton or linen/wool. I am making mine 1837 (decided at last!) with a plain round front and a wide, shallow neck. I think the one I'm *trying* to copy is on antique dress. Good luck! I can't wait to see your gown when you are finished with it! (You WILL post about it, won't you? :)) Mine was supposed to have been done long ago but I keep procrastinating. I guess I'll see if I can get it done for Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! You've already shed 3/4"! That's a huge accomplishment.
    I find that not only eating right, but long walks and putting your all into the work that you do makes your body feel so good!

    I can't wait to see your finished creations.
    xoxo KB

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the dress tips. They have a fabulous library at the site that volunteers can check things out of -- I'll look for Janet Arnolds or something similar on Saturday. We're 2 weeks through the 3 weeks class and I've learned so much already.

    I'm sorry you weren't able to make it this training. There's another in the fall. If you'd like, I'll keep you posted on when it is. And please let me know if you're coming down for a field trip some day! I know the militia muster is May 16-17.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely thoughts!