Sunday, May 17, 2009

Week in Feminine Dress ~ Day 1

My favorite sewing forum is hosting another Week in Feminine Dress (WIFD) this week. I decided to document my week here on my blog. Although I wear skirts and dresses the vast, vast majority of the time I find that I don't often go to any great pains to look particularly nice. This week I will try harder to spend time on the things I've let go by the wayside since the babies came. :) Especially hair-do's and accessories like jewelry and flowers and ribbons and laces.

Today I wore my blue cotton print regency gown and Malachi dressed in his little striped dress and new baby cap to help me with photos!

I'm also re-reading the book Homemaking by Rev. J.R. Miller, originally published in 1882. . .there are some wonderful quotes. This part seemed especially to jump out at me today and I thought it was so appropriate for the beginning of this week! Something to think about and strive towards, with new resolution each and every day!
"The wife who would always hold in her husband's heart the place she held on her wedding day will never cease striving to be lovely. She will be as careful of her words and acts and her whole bearing towards him as she was before marriage. "
"She will cultivate in her own life whatever is beautiful, whatever is winning, whatever is graceful. She will scrupulously avoid whatever is offensive or unwomanly."
"She will look well to her personal appearance; no woman can be careless in her dress, slatternly and untidy, and long keep her place on the throne of her husband's life.""She will look well to her inner life. She must have mental attractiveness. She will seek to be clothed in spiritual beauty. . ."

God's blessings to you this evening, dear ones!

Love,
Sarah

16 comments:

  1. You (and Malachi) look so lovely!

    The quote is beautiful. I will keep it in mind for when I marry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You both look wonderful!
    The dresses you sew amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That quote has so much truth to it!
    The both of you look amazing. Though I have never learned to sew, I love lurking at Sense & Sensibility.
    xoxo Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah, I look forward to reading your post. You have such an interesting blog.

    The pictures of you and your little one are charming.

    I want to read Rev. J.R. Miller's book. What an awesome way to minister to women with such gentle instructions. His writings are profound. Recently, I've seen some of his quotes on some other sites as well and think if more people took to heart what he has said, we'd have a revival.

    I am looking forward to your post about clothing during the week.

    God richly bless you,
    ~Deanna~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooo, I wish that I could join you! I’ve seen women on a couple of other posts do this before. Because my job means wearing scrubs, I can’t partake. I feel much more feminine when I’m wearing a dress but don’t do it other than Sunday’s and maybe one more time during the week when I am able.

    You look so beautiful. I’ll have to check out that book. Is it still in print, or where would one find it?

    Thank you, Sarah. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What beautiful photos and quote! Thank you for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look so lovely, both of you! I really enjoyed reading the quote.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My computer has been off Internet for over a month and is finally back on. I have enjoyed catching up on your blog, though I was sorry to read about your hurt arm. I hope it is on the mend now. I must admit I don’t even try to always look nice am I am not married with children to take care of! J.R. Miller’s book sound good. That quote is tremendous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sarah,
    I love your dress! You look so feminine and ladylike, and your little guy is such a cutie! Would it be possible to see a larger photo of your dress..?

    Blessings,
    Alyssa

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look beautiful m'dear! I love that dress. And little Malachai is just adoreable. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Sarah,

    J.R. Miller's book must be quite a find. I'll have to look it up. What he wrote is as true now as it was when he wrote it. It's so, so easy to believe that what we say, how we say it, and how we look when we say it, are just events of the moment. I've learned, oh, have I learned, that once you put a word, a look, an outlook, into the universe, it reverberates, it IS remembered.

    One more reason to keep what we read elevating, as the old term has it, so that by surrounding ourselves by what is good and useful, we become at least a little bit more good and useful ourselves.

    Oh, and how could Malachi look any more charming than he does in that darling, darling cap and dress? The image of you holding him: I hope you will keep it close!

    As always, inspired by what you write,

    Natalie in Kentucky
    currently listening to "new" Monteverdi and feeling as if she might touch heaven if she reached out her hand (listen at http://www.indiana.edu/~harmonia/archives-200102.htm)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, gracious I love that photo of Malachi! The dress and bonnet are just...just...too cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sarah,
    Thank you for that quote. Today of all days. I needed to read those words. God is forever Good and Faithful. I have the same book and havent read it in years.
    Lovely dress! I, too, love the Regency period.

    Blessings,
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  14. This dress is just beautiful!! I am so glad you are participating in this! I did my week of feminine dress a few months ago and it was so wonderful!! Looking forward to seeing the rest of your posts for the coming days!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you all! :)

    Alyssa, I posted about this dress last year when I finished it, and here is the link to it: http://romantichistory.blogspot.com/2008/05/walk-in-graveyard.html

    I think I should upload my photos to a photo hosting site before putting them on my blog, since that seems to help with picture size! Sorry about that! I'm going to use Flickr from now on!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely thoughts!